Dungeness,Kent and Sandy RSPB.June 4th 2009.

The day started very early for me with a journey down to Denge marsh/Dungeness in the hope of connecting with the Oriental pratincole that had been found there yesterday. Unfortunately I was not to get my 'hat trick' of pratincoles, as the bird was not to be found. Despite reports of probable sightings I don't believe it was still there, later reports of a pratincole sp' at grove ferry furthered that thought.
On the way home I received a call from sarah telling the girls in the Lodge shop had phoned to tell me of a Nightjar showing very well. And so not too far off from the Lodge I decided to pay a visit. And true to their word it was right bang next to a pathway on a stump sunning itself. there was a bit of obstruction from the wire fence and foliage in front but what a wonderful sight and a welcome end to an otherwise unproductive day.