Empidonax Flycatcher. Blakeney Point, Norfolk. Sept 2010.

A early start at 3am had me setting off for Cley and the daunting thought of a hike to Blakeney Point for the Empidonax Flycatcher there (hopefully). I arrived at 05:15 and after a brief rest got my act together and set off. How many bloody times will I end up partaking in this 3 mile shingle walk, this time in the dark too. By the time I reached the plantation I was truly knackered and soaked from the rain. 2 birders said the bird was still present so the walk was put to the back of my mind for now. It wasn't long before the bird showed itself right in front of me, a cracking little bird that gave itself up when moving, otherwise it blended in perfectly especially in the dismal light. The wing markings really stood out and in the light it did give off a yellow tinge to the throat and breast especially when wet. It would prove elusive at times but always returned to the same areas feeding and at one time bathing in a water hole amongst the grass but it gave good views throughout. There were so many common migrants coming in the sky was a motorway at rush hour, I saw a Ring Ouzel at the half way house and plenty of Bramblings and Siskins, along with Redwing, Song Thrush, Blackcap, Reed Bunting, Willow Warbler, Chiff Chaff, Goldcrest and Robins galore. A great new bird but the prospect of the long haul back to the car at the forefront of my mind. On my return I was shattered and still wet but it was worth it, but not again too soon...