Humbugs,Darters and a little Essex in Bedfordshire. August 2013.

Great Crested Grebes
I don't mean me in Bedfordshire (an Essex boy by birth) although it is correct, no the Essex is a butterfly shown further down.
It had been a while since I last visited the pits (DWE), so I set off mid morning for a stroll around. It was nice to see 3 juvenile, "Humbugs", Great crested grebes alongside the parents, I saw and heard just a couple of Sedge warblers and possibly heard a Reed warbler but it was very brief.
Sedge Warbler 
Sedge Warbler
Common Sandpiper
There were a pair of Common Sandpipers still present and a possible third, no sign of any other waders though.
Common Tern chicks
There weren't as many terns about but they included juveniles and young in the group, mostly congregating on the northern pit, they actively chased off any approaching threat, as one Grey heron found out. Whilst walking around the main pit, I noticed Swallows but a lack of Swifts, I was taken back by a whoosh overhead, and then I fixed my gaze on the source of the noise...a Peregrine low and fast over the main pit scaring the life out of everything before heading higher towards Sandy reserve, and I think a first for the list.
Common Terns
Common Blue
I had taken the macro gear also as I knew I would get some insect action, plenty of Common Blue butterflies and Meadow Browns, and a single Brown Hawker and Emperor dragonfly added themselves to the large number of Common Darters everywhere.
Common Blue
Common Blue
Common Blue
Large White
Common Darter
Common Darter
I don't know what this plant is called but they were scattered everywhere, a beautiful splash of colour among the grasses.
Peacock
Essex Skipper
This was a first, a Essex skipper, quite flighty at first but then gave itself up for a photograph.
Common Darter
Common Blue
Common Blue
Common Darter
Common Darter
Common Darter
When the sun was briefly obscured by clouds the dragonflies were, with a careful stalk, more approachable as this darter shows.
Common Blue
Common Blue